Clearing HSTS settings to fix a "Too many redirects" Page report error
By Sean Needham
A "Too many redirects" error can occur when you are loading a Page report for an “HTTP” page that has HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) enabled. HSTS is a web security policy mechanism that helps to protect websites from attack.
The Page report environment attempts to redirect from HTTPS to HTTP, but if the original page has HSTS enabled, then the browser will automatically re-redirect the user back to HTTPS, causing an infinite loop.
The browser sees this and responds with a "Too many redirects" error.
If you encounter a "Too many redirects" error when loading a page report, we recommend that you clear HSTS Browser Settings a described below.
Clearing HSTS settings in Chrome
Delete the HSTS cache from your Chrome browser as follows:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Enter chrome://net-internals/#hsts in your address bar.
- In the “Query HSTS/PKP domain” field enter the domain name “my2.siteimprove.com”.
- Enter the domain “my2.siteimprove.com” in the “Delete domain security policies” field and press the Delete button.
- Restart the Chrome browser.
Clearing HSTS settings in Firefox
- Close any other open Firefox windows and tabs.
- Open your browsing history by clicking Ctrl + Shift + H.
- Go to the site for which you want to clear the HSTS settings (i.e. my2.siteimprove.com)
- Right-click on the site and click on “Forget About This Site”.
Note: This will clear all data of the site that is currently in Firefox.
HSTS settings can be cleared in a similar way on other browsers. Please refer to your browser's help resources for specific information.
Please contact Siteimprove technical support if this does not resolve your issue.