Siteimprove is in the process of redesigning the Spelling feature, making it easier to manage misspellings on your website. With the release of the updated Spelling module, we will give users more flexibility when making decisions and introduce improved efficiency with predictive spelling.
Spelling module improvements
This article outlines the advantages and changes within the Spelling module.
You can make decisions on words and manage misspellings faster from a single page. This streamlines the workflow to increase efficiency. Words fall into three categories: Misspelling, Needs Review and Approved Words.
- Misspellings are confirmed misspellings. To see a misspelling in context, expand the page column and click the page title/URL. You can fix misspellings directly in your CMS by clicking on the CMS button.
- Needs Review allows you to confirm whether the words listed are misspellings or correct in the context of a specific site. The more words you review and categorize, the more accurate the spellcheck will be in the future.
- Approved words won't be marked as misspellings in the future. This is useful if you want to avoid having proper nouns, names, addresses, or trademark names flagged in future spellchecks.
Flexibility of decisions
You will have the flexibility to approve words on a single page, a site or the entire account meaning your decisions won't affect sites that fall outside your responsibility.
Increase efficiency with Misspelling Probability
The spelling module includes a “Misspelling Probability” available for users while they review potential misspellings on the “Needs review” list. Utilizing machine-learning technologies, we predict the probability of the word being a misspelling. Misspellings can be sorted and filtered by their probabilities, allowing you to prioritize your time more efficiently.
Locating the mistake within the word
This feature highlights, with an underline, the location within a word, where a mistake occurs. This makes it easier for users to find errors and make corrections.
Inline action buttons
Inline decisions are available on the “Needs review” so you can quickly approve the word with a ‘thumbs-up’ or confirm as a misspelling with a “thumbs-down”.
We introduced a fresher look and feel with a clear overview and categories. It's now easier to see how your decisions affect words on your site giving more transparency.
The “Progress and Trends” section combines the data previously found within the “Summary” and “Language” data. Also, an “Add Words” tab has been added to bring attention to this valuable feature.
Additional word upload options
You can bulk upload words as approved words or misspelled words. This will allow users to upload product names or other specific industry terms etc. to a specific site, language, or the entire account. It’s also possible for users to “blacklist” words by classifying them as “misspellings”.
Notifications on overlapping spelling decisions
If users make contradicting decisions, we will proactively communicate and show the decisions in a separate view, simplifying the workflow for users.
What else will change?
- We say goodbye to the previous options of “Ignore” and "Add to dictionary". These options have caused some confusion in the past so have now been replaced by “Approve”. To approve a word means that it is acceptable to have this word on your website.
- Spelling suggestions have now been removed. Instead we now highlight where we believe the spelling error is within the word using an underline.